Friday, December 11, 2009

An Off Night?

I worked the night shift last night. I was hoping to come home with some good tips, but alas, I only made $45. The rush ended at 8 p.m. A little disappointing. Hopefully, today goes better.

I'm getting to know my co-workers. I'm not the only college educated server it turns out. One guy was a double major in English and Business. I asked him why he didn't have a "real" job and he's waiting for his writing to pan out. He explained that waiting tables gives him a lot of time to get writing done. He's giving it two years before turning to the corporate world.

I was also told that I might want to get a second job. I really didn't want to hear that. Only $45 but on the whole I was tipped at about 18% which isn't bad. They told me the weather had something to do with it. San Antonians don't like to go out to eat when it's cold outside apparently. When I got home, I got on Craigslist and sent out a bunch of resumes for some office jobs. At least those wages don't depend on the weather.

I'm not feeling so chipper this morning. Not having second thoughts about quitting the hotel job, but discovering this isn't going to be as easy as I'd hoped. But the good thing about waiting tables is that when it's busy the time flies by and then I'm home again. Contemplating my future and reading the economic news. At least I'll get some more reading done.

No comments:

Post a Comment