Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Morning of Truth

I start my new job waiting tables this morning at 10 a.m. sharp. I will be "shadowing" another server and making minimum wage and new tips as I learn the ways of the restaurant. I hope they have the confidence in me that I can write down the answers to the questions I ask people. Such as "What would you like to eat" and turn in the answers to the kitchen.

I have to admit I'm just a tad nervous. I was so surprised to get hired after one day of unemployment I'm a little afraid it isn't for real and I will be desperately ransacking craigslist ads by the end of the day. Yes, seven years of college and I will be waiting tables. Here's a joke for ya: What does the Liberal Arts major say after college? Would you like fries with that?

I'm not letting my descent from white collar to blue collar phase me though. I am in survival mode. I have bills to pay. I can smile and be cheerful and take a Camus approach to it all. What did he say? Enjoy the absurdity of life? Something of that order. My mother always told me growing up (in her ever evangelistic way) that to be a light in the world you have to be in the world but not OF the world. I have to keep all that is bad, and unfair, and unjust from getting to me and breaking me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment